My name is Oleksii Starov (and I often go by Alex). I am a Senior Researcher at Palo Alto Networks and my current research focuses on proactive and data-driven web security, online privacy, cybercrime investigations.
Before joining PAN in 2018, I received my PhD in Computer Science from Stony Brook University, New York. I was working in the PragSec Lab, advised by Professor Nick Nikiforakis.
Earlier, in 2013 I got my MS degree in Software Engineering from East Carolina University, USA, and MS in Computer Engineering from National Aerospace University ‘KhAI’, Ukraine. Both with university honors.
- [New] “Everyone is Different: Client-side Diversification for Defending Against Extension Fingerprinting,” Erik Trickel, Oleksii Starov, Alexandros Kapravelos, Nick Nikiforakis, and Adam Doupé — in Proceedings of the 28th USENIX Security Symposium, 2019.
- [New] “Unnecessarily Identifiable: Quantifying the fingerprintability of browser extensions due to bloat,” Oleksii Starov, Pierre Laperdrix, Alexandros Kapravelos, and Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the Web Conference (TheWebConf/WWW), 2019.
- “PrivacyMeter: Designing and Developing a Privacy-Preserving Browser Extension,” Oleksii Starov and Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Engineering Secure Software and Systems (ESSoS) 2018.
- “Betrayed by Your Dashboard: Discovering Malicious Campaigns via Web Analytics,” Oleksii Starov, Yuchen Zhou, Xiao Zhang, Najmeh Miramirkhani, Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the Web Conference (TheWebConf/WWW), 2018.
- “Hindsight: Understanding the Evolution of UI Vulnerabilities in Mobile Browsers,” Meng Luo, Oleksii Starov, Nima Honarmand, Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the 24th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 2017.
- “XHOUND: Quantifying the Fingerprintability of Browser Extensions,” Oleksii Starov, Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the 38th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (IEEE S&P), 2017.
- “Extended Tracking Powers: Measuring the Privacy Diffusion Enabled by Browser Extensions,” Oleksii Starov, Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the 26th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2017.
- “Dial One for Scam: A Large-Scale Analysis of Technical Support Scams,” Najmeh Miramirkhani, Oleksii Starov, Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the 24th Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2017. (Distinguished Paper Award!)
- “No Honor Among Thieves: A Large-Scale Analysis of Malicious Web Shells,” Oleksii Starov, Johannes Dahse, Syed Sharique Ahmad, Thorsten Holz, Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the 25th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2016.
- “Measuring and Mitigating AS-level Adversaries against Tor,” Rishab Nithyanand, Oleksii Starov, Adva Zairy, Phillipa Gill, Michael Schapira — in Proceedings of the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2016. (Selected to CSAW’16 finals)
- “Are You Sure You Want to Contact Us? Quantifying the Leakage of PII via Website Contact Forms,” Oleksii Starov, Phillipa Gill, Nick Nikiforakis — in Proceedings of the 16th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS), 2016. (Honorable mention)
- “On the Privacy Practices of Just Plain Sites,” Amirhossein Aleyasen, Oleksii Starov, Alyssa Phung Au, Allan Schiffman, Jeff Shrager — in Proceedings of the Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (WPES), 2015.
- LEMINCS 2019: Program Committee member
- NoNameCon 2019: Program Committee member
- PETS 2019: External Reviewer
- UA-CTF 2018: Co-creator & Organizer
- CSAW 2018: One of the Final Judges for Applied Research Competition
- UISGCON 2018: Organization Committee member / CTF Master
- NoNameCon 2018: Program Committee member
- PETS 2018: External Reviewer
- IET Information Security: Several reviews in 2017-2018
- Email: ostarov[at]paloaltonetworks[dot]com or ostarov[at]cs[dot]stonybrook[dot]edu
- Twitter: @o_starov